Hafiz Saeed says India behind blast that killed scores in Pakistani hospital

Hafiz Saeed, a Pakistani Islamist with a $10 million U.S. bounty on his head, on Monday (August 8) squarely pinned the responsibility of a blast in a Pakistani hospital on India.

Earlier in the day, a suicide bomber killed at least 50 people and wounded dozens more in an attack on mourners gathered at a hospital in Quetta, according to officials in the violence-plagued southwestern province of Baluchistan.

images (8)
Speaking to the media in Islamabad after attending a National conference on terrorism, Saeed said the blast was the handiwork of a terror network spread through Pakistan by Indian agents who had been arrested in Pakistan in the past few months.

Also read: 93 die as explosion rips through Quetta hospital

“A horrible terrorism has been carried out in Quetta, and India is directly responsible for it,” Saeed told reporters.
“It is the duty of the Pakistani government to take a strong stand against this aggression. There is an urgent need to expose to the world the terrorist network which Indian and US agents arrested here have spread throughout our country. An apologetic stance will no longer be allowed. If Pakistanhas to be saved, there is a need to stand on a strong footing,” he stressed.

India blames Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the group Saeed founded in the 1990s, for the deaths of 166 people during the 2008 attacks in Mumbai, and has repeatedly called on Pakistan to bring him to justice. Saeed denies involvement. Pakistan has asked for more evidence.

Saeed has long abandoned the LeT leadership and is now the head of its charity wing Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD).