In a major disappointment to the flood-hit people of the Kashmir, the government has sharply reduced the number of houses that were damaged by the floods after conducting a fresh survey.
Here are some facts you must know:
- The number of houses has been drastically reduced to 67,661 from 3, 44,607 that were estimated by the previous National Conference-Congress government. The government said reduction was done following a revised survey by the Deputy Commissioners and thus the total number of the flood-damaged houses has come down from 344607 to 67661.
- The number of fully damaged Pucca houses has come down to 10,451 against 45,862 as was projected in the loss-memo submitted to the New Delhi government by the NC-Congress government.
- The number of fully damaged Kucha houses has come down to 11,034 from 21,635 and number of partially damaged houses has gone down from 18,7756 to 46,000.
- The government has kept only Rs 1200 crore for relief and rehabilitation of the flood victims. Rs 3 lakh each would be given as compensation for fully damaged pucca house, Rs 1.50 lakh for fully damaged kucha house, Rs 1 lakh for severely damaged pucca house and Rs 50,000 for severely damaged kucha house. “This will be in addition to the relief already paid to the flood-affected households and traders,” the government said.
- The government has left out the partially damaged houses from the relief.