2010 killing: accused police officer promoted, says slain teen’s dad

The father of slain Kashmir teenager, who allegedly died due to torture while in the custody of Jammu and Kashmir police during civil protests in 2010, says one of the officers allegedly involved in the killing of his son has been promoted. 


17-year-old, Omar Qayoom, was picked up by the police near his Soura residence in the August of 2010 while he was coming out from a Friday congregation. He was released two days later after his family procured a bail and was admitted to Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences. 


Omar’s father, Abdul Qayoom says Ghulam Ali, the accused policeman, was on duty when his son was ‘brutally assaulted and arrested’ by government forces on 20 August, 2010. 


He says: “Ghulam Ali was an assistant sub inspector and he along with other policemen and forces personnel had brutally assaulted Omar.”


Ali was transferred from after Omar’s killing and was shifted to another police station in state’s summer capital Srinagar. 


“In the later months of 2013, Ali was shifted back to Soura police station, and he has been promoted to the rank of sub inspector,” Omar’s father says.


Qayoom, a father of three girls, says that he met senior superintendent of police, Amit Kumar, who, according to him, assured that he will transfer the accused officer. “I met the senior superintendent of police who assured me that Ali will be transferred in three days.” 


However, Ali has not been transferred. “I again went to meet senior superintendent of police and at that time I was told by one of the officials in his office that till 26 January he will be transferred.”


The senior superintendent of police says he will look into the matter.


Omar’s family is fight for justice and has moved the court. His kin have told the court that Omar died on August 25, 2010, due to ‘excessive police torture’. 


His medical reports suggest that he died due to ‘alleged beating’, and had developed internal lung injuries with acute respiratory failure. 


So far no FIR has been registered into Omar’s death.


“I will see who can transfer me,” Qayoom quotes the accused police officer telling him. He says if the officer is not involved in the ‘murder’ of his son, why was he forced to move the court to get a case registered.