2010 protests: Despite court order no FIR into Umar’s killing


It has been over three years since teenage boy Umar Qayoom Bhat died after being allegedly tortured ruthlessly by government force, but his family continues to fight to lodge a First Information Report into his death. 


Umar’s father, Abdul Qayoom, says authorities are yet to initiate a concrete action against the culprits who are ‘roaming free’. “The court more than five times ordered officials to appear in person, but he has been neglecting the court order. The involved are being elevated to the higher posts and even the police is reluctant to file FIR into the killing of my 17 year old son.”


On Friday, August 20, 2010, after prayers, stone hurling protests had erupted in Soura on the outskirts of Jammu and Kashmir’s summer capital Srinagar when police caught hold on Umar and beaten him mercilessly. “I saw around six force personnel were beating him up and bouncing him to the walls. They later dragged him to the nearby police post,” his father says.


Umar’s condition worsened during detention and the repeated plea for his release was out rightly rejected by the police. “I requested them that the condition of my son is worsening and he his spitting blood from mouth but no heed was paid to my pleas,” he says.


He remembers a day after Umar detention he secured a bail for his son’s release and immediately shifted him to hospital.   “The doctors due to unknown reasons discharged Umar from the hospital .On the next day when his condition got worsened I rushed him to the hospital again where doctors revealed that my son is 80 per cent dead. They later putted him on the ventilator.”


Umar died in SK Institute of Medical Sciences on August 25, 2010. “More that 48 protesters were injured during his funeral procession,” says his father, adding the authorities at that time assured him that the investigation will be initiated into the matter at the earliest.


“When no FIR was registered, after eight months, I knocked the doors of the court. I am fighting for justice since last three years,” he rues.


Advocate Shabir Ahmad who represents Umar’s family says the executive magistrate, who had granted bail to the teen boy in 2010, was called by the court and that the final call has been given to him to appear in person on January 13, 2014 in the court. “We demand that the FIR under section 302 be registered against Umar’s killing.”